Magnesium is a mineral that is crucial to the body’s function. It helps to keep the blood pressure normal, bones and muscles healthy and strong, synthesize the proteins and maintain nerves functioning. It is generally present in a balanced diet however magnesium deficiency is becoming common in the western diet as grains are poor sources of magnesium and nuts and leafy vegetables are not eaten as often. Also poor cultivations and cooking practices destroys the magnesium of the food. It is often the most underutilized yet most important supplement for body builders and athletes as it enhances their performance.
BENEFITS OF MAGNESIUM
- It helps to boost exercise performance.
- It tends to fight fatigue thereby keeping you more active and energized for high intensity and strenuous exercises.
- Athletes use Magnesium to increase their energy level and endurance.
- It increases the physical and muscular performance of the body thus assisting a person to become more active and healthy.
- It uplifts the mood by fighting depression and stress.
- It is responsible for the regulation and proper execution of over 300 enzymes process in the body. Thus it helps in overall well being of the body.
- It helps in the bone formation.
- It serves as the building block for the DNA
- It helps in ATP production in body. ATP (adenosine tri-phosphate) is required for energy production in the cells. Therefore magnesium aids in fitness and body building.
- It helps cope with stress.
- Magnesium helps with fat loss and diabetes.
- It helps to regulate the hunger cravings. Without magnesium the body cannot properly use fats, proteins and carbohydrates. When we don’t get the most from our diet, our body tends to crave for food thus creating cravings. Magnesium tends to control these cravings.
- It helps to relax the muscles and speeds up the recovery process.
DOSAGE OF MAGNESIUM
The recommended daily allowance for magnesium ranges from 400-420 mg for men. The supplementary intake should not exceed 350 mg as some magnesium is obtained from the natural food one is eating. High dosage should be avoided.
Normal dosage of Magnesium does not have any side effect on the body. It is highly recommended by researchers and health practitioners. High dosage can however result in diarrhea, abdominal cramping and nausea. High levels of magnesium in the blood can lead to low blood pressure. However it is best to consult a doctor if you are suffering from some medical conditions related to kidney or heart. Magnesium supplements should not be mixed with any other medications.
Thus we can conclude that deficiency in magnesium is common and can lead to number of problems in the human body. Adequate quantity of Magnesium is known to improve the athletic performance, energy and stamina in men to increase their work out and get the desired results. Shortfall of magnesium in athletes and body builder can severely affect their performance and health as the deficiency results in low energy and performance levels.