If asked what testosterone does most people will quickly come up with a response that it is the sex hormone which controls our sex drive and is good for body building and getting a masculine body. We all know that there are a lot of testosterone boosting supplements available in the market. We have seen them both online and offline. Mostly our knowledge is restricted to this much. The details are unknown and we don’t really know why and when these supplements or medical help is required or what exactly is Low testosterone and how exactly can it affect us. Read on to know how.
WHAT IS TESTOSTERONE?
Testosterone is basically a hormone which is found in both men and women however men tend to have much higher levels of testosterone than women. It is important for the development of the sexual characteristics in men and is chiefly produced by the testicles and in smaller quantities by adrenal glands. It is a part of ‘androgens’ group of hormones and is also called steroid hormone.
FUNCTIONS OF TESTOSTERONE
It is a very important hormone for the overall wellbeing of men. In adolescence it is associated with the development of the pubic hair, facial hair, growth and voice changes. As the age increases, it is responsible for:
- Losing fat and gaining lean muscle mass
- Increasing the libido and determining sexual drive and performance
- Increasing the metabolism and immunity of the body
- Improving the cognitive function and the mood.
- Regulating the sperm production
WHAT IS LOW TESTOSTERONE?
Testosterone production typically starts declining with age. Since testosterone affects so many functions of the body, its decreasing level can have a lot of physical and emotional effects. The condition where the body starts producing low level of testosterone is called hypogonadism or “Low T”. It is not just found in men above 30 rather it is fast becoming a problem in younger men as well.
CAUSES OF LOW TESTOSTERONE
Some of the common causes of Low T are:
- Obesity: Obesity is an epidemic in US and other parts of the world and it has a lowering effect on the testosterone level.
- Insomnia: Lack of sleep has a detrimental effect on all the aspects of the health. Poor sleep cycle leads to a decrease in the level of testosterone.
- Medical conditions: Diseases related to liver and Kidney can led to low T because the enzymes in these two organs are responsible for production of testosterone. Type 2 diabetes can also lead to low testosterone.
- Lack of Exercise: A lethargic lifestyle with no exercise impacts the level of testosterone in men.
- Alcohol Consumption: Excessive consumption of alcohol depletes the testosterone production.
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS
The common signs which helps one identify that they are suffering from low testosterone are:
- Some men tend to experience a drastic drop in their sex drive.
- Erectile dysfunction and decrease in the duration and hardness of erection
- Increase in body fat and decrease in muscle mass.
- Disturbance in sleeping pattern
- Emotional changes which include feeling of sadness and depression
- Decrease in energy level leading to less physical performance. The fatigue level increases rapidly.
- Rapid hair loss.
- Decrease in the intellectual and cognitive capabilities.
TREATMENT FOR LOW TESTOSTERONE
Thus we know that adequate level of testosterone is very important for our body. However this does not mean that if you develop low T, then you cannot recover or treat the problem. With the advancement in medical science and research, there are several ways to raise the testosterone level back to normal. The common ways available are:
- Testosterone replacement therapy(TRT) : It is available in many forms –
- Subcutaneous Implant: It is a form of TRT where a small patch is implanted under the skin of the abdomen or buttocks. It needs to be re-implanted in 4 to 5 months and is known to substantially raise the testosterone level.
- Transdermal Patch: In this a patch is applied on the scrotum or the upper arm and it leads to steady increases in testosterone.
- Gels and Creams: Through the gels, testosterone is directly absorbed through the skin.
- Injections: injections can be injected directly into the muscles from where it is directly absorbed in the blood.
However, TRT can have certain side effects like rash, itching or irritation. It tends to raise the level of agitation and anxiety. It also increases the risk of heart stroke and many other health problems. The treatment is also an expensive one.
- Increasing Testosterone naturally
- Supplements: It is a very popular method and numerous supplements are available in the market which contains vitamins, minerals and natural herbs which tend to increase the testosterone level naturally. Supplements basically contain herbs like Tribulus Terristris, Tongkat Ali, Horny goat weed, L-Argenine and many more which are used from ages by men to boost the testosterone level naturally. The best part about supplements is that they come without side effects and can be taken without prescription provided you are not suffering from any medical conditions. The supplements available are clinically tested and these days highly recommended by health experts. Regular consumption of these supplements enhances the libido and treats various sexual problems like erectile dysfunction, small penis syndrome etc. They help in overall well being of the individuals to improve both physical and sexual health. Supplements are for sure the safest, easiest and most effective way of treating low testosterone and are easily available both offline and online.
- Physical Workout: Including regular exercise in your lifestyle can enhance the testosterone in the body. It increases the strength and stamina of the body and makes you fit. It also decreases obesity which is one of the common causes of low T in the body.
- Diet: It is one of the most effective ways to improve the testosterone level naturally. Exercise becomes effective when it is supplemented with right nutrients. A well balanced diet is the basis for a strong body. Specific food items which can be included in the diet are – Red meat, cheese, eggs, olive oil, avocado, nuts, broccoli, garlic etc.
Low level of testosterone is not an uncommon or for that matter a permanent problem. Millions of men suffer from it but the good part is that it can be treated effectively if diagnosed well in time and proper measures are taken effectively.
So if you suspect any of the above symptoms you should make it a point to schedule an appointment with a doctor and get your blood test done to determine the severity of the problem and then take corrective measures. Always make it a point to weigh the benefits and the side effects and then select the appropriate treatment. Your overall health and wellbeing is in your hands and a timely detection can help you regain your lost vitality and strength along with overall betterment of the mind, body and soul.